Your browser is outdated and no longer supported by this website. Please visit: to update your browser.
Lost or Stolen Green Card

Prepare Your USCIS Form I-90Lost or Stolen Green Card Application

Lost or Stolen Green Card
Application Package $285 + USCIS filing fees.
FileRight purchase price does not include other applicable government fees paid directly to the government. USCIS Filing Fee $455, Biometrics Fee (if applicable) $85
Disclaimer: is not affiliated with USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. We are a private company providing self-help services at your direction. If you are looking for blank forms, you can get them for free at Select filing packages include an Immigration Lawyer Review conducted by an independent, licensed immigration attorney.

What’s Included in Your Application Package Service

Immigration Instant Error Report
  • Complete your application online using our easy to use immigration software.
  • Securely check your application using our Immigration Error Report technology.
  • Review entire application for omissions of key information.
  • Examine for typographical errors that might delay processing.
  • Confirm consistent spellings of names and places throughout the application.
  • Check for inconsistent, illogical or conflicting dates.
  • Review for obviously illogical entries.
  • Search for entries that conflict with each other.
  • Our software checks the information you provide against the eligibility requirements for the immigration benefit you’re seeking, and notifies you if those requirements are not met.
Application Package Assembly Service
  • Once you complete your application, we print, assemble and mail out your application package to you.
  • We include sticky notes on where you need to sign and date your application.
  • Service includes a pre-paid envelope for you to mail your completed package directly to the USCIS for processing.
  • We mail your application package via USPS.
Reminder Service <span>(applied too early)</span>
  • Some applications have time restrictions before they’ll accept your application.
  • At times, customers prepare their application sooner than allowed by the USCIS.
  • Our software will allow you to complete your application but will remind you when you can send your application to the USCIS for processing.

FileRight Application Preparation Service Includes

Professional Document Templates Available
Personalized Application Filing Instructions
Supporting Documents Step by Step Instructions
Customer Support Agents Available
Professional Document Templates Available

Professional Document Templates Available

Communicate efficiently with USCIS with our professionally written cover letter and document templates.

Personalized Application Filing Instructions

Personalized Application Filing Instructions

Based off of your answers, our system will generate personalized filing instructions to guide you through the filing process.

Supporting Documents Step by Step Instructions

Supporting Documents Step by Step Instructions

Our easy to understand instructions will guide you through preparing your supporting documents to file your paperwork accurately with the USCIS.

Customer Support Agents Available

Customer Support Agents Available

Our agents are here to help you if you have any questions with our product or service.

Over 50,000 customers served by

See how customers rated their experience with

Alan H
Applying for Citizenship
“The instructions were very clear and the process was made that more easy”
Melinda S
Applying for Green Card
“You are very pleasant and helpful. Make me feel helped and you are very thorough and really listen to what I needed. I felt so comfortable. Thank you.”
Steven M
Fiance Visa
“I just started the application. I think FileRight will be very helpful”
Cynthia B
New York
Petition for Relative
“The instruction is so detailed... works on my busy schedule…”
Manuel S
I90 / Applying for Citizenship
Rated 5 stars! - “Your people were very polite, knowledgeable, helpful and friendly...”
Buenrita P
Green Card Renewal
“It's very easy and the fastest way I filled my immigration papers. Thank you for helping me out. I definitely recommend to my friends and my immediate family”
Jerry W
“The support person I talked to for help was very patient with me and satisfied every question...”
Huishi Z
“It is friendly and easy for using, service is very nice”
Jean R
Applying for Citizenship
“Very quick and everything is well explained”
Aharon A
Applying for Citizenship
“...It was quick to fill in and had very clearly written instructions”
Sanata T
Applying for Citizenship
“For me, you're the best service”
Joseph C
Applying for Citizenship
“You made it easy!”
Rex R
Applying for Citizenship
“Quick and easy”
Lynda S
Applying for Family-based Green Card
“You provided a more updated form, walked us through it; provided more information and follow-up. Then, you called to see if you could help us any further. Very nice service.”
Delphine D
Green Card Renewal / Applying for Citizenship
“I found FileRight to be very helpful and informative even when I was just unsure about the applications. Thank you”
Hjordis G
South Carolina
Applying for Travel Document
“There was nothing I didn't like!”
Archangelo H
New York
Applying for Citizenship
“Quick response... follow up call from your representatives”
Bernard C
Green Card Renewal
“I think that the service you have is great and makes it easy for people. I want to thank you very much”
Onesmo K
Applying for Citizenship
“Very easy to navigate”
Lala K
New Jersey
Green Card Renewal & Applying for Citizenship
“Great service!”
Carol H
Green Card Renewal
“The service I received was professional & expedient”
Rita O
Green Card Renewal
“Very clear and complete instructions, help was always available”
Paula D
Green Card Renewal
“I had to call, because I made an error and the person who helped me, had EXCELLENT customer service skills!! :)”
Wilson K
Rhode Island
Green Card Renewal
“They were very helpful and made the whole situation easy and much more accommodating. I will recommend and use this process to file for my citizenship papers as well...”
Cathy W
Green Card Renewal
Rated 5 stars! - Rated 5 stars! - “Because it made the process of filling out the forms that much easier. It was explained out very clearly.”
Johnston B
Green Card Renewal
“The steps were very simple to follow and follow up assistance was available...”
Elena L
Applying for Citizenship
“Rated 5 stars! - Because everybody I talked to were very nice people, extremely patient”

Customer Stories

It’s happened to many of the people we talk to here at FileRight, their green card expires and they don’t even realize it. Maribel was...
Corazon came to the United States from the Philippines and is well on her way to becoming a United States citizen. She’s trusted FileRight to...
Gloria and her husband went through a terrible house fire where her husband lost his green card. They trusted FileRight to replace their green card....
Fernando’s nephew told him about FileRight when he needed to apply for a replacement citizenship certificate. Not having a certificate means you lose one way...
Stefania and her father were looking for the best option to complete her father’s green card renewal application. They trusted FileRight to get the paperwork...
Jose A
Jose needs to travel to the Phillippines to care for his daughter. Since he’s planning to be out of the United States for an extended...
Paloma was planning a trip but realized she lost her naturalization certificate. This is a real-life issue that could happen to you. FileRight can get...
Love brought Monika to the United States from Switzerland. She is now on the verge of becoming an American citizen and actually filled out the...
Ong Family
The Ong family immigrated to the United States from the Philippines where they said life was hard. Now after 10 years of living in the...
William fled his native Vietnam to escape persecution after the Vietnam War. He tells a harrowing tale of surviving on a small boat an eventually...
Dino typically does his immigration paperwork on his own but he wanted to make sure his citizenship application was done right. Check out his story...
Chand P
Chand was sponsored to come to the United States by his two American children. As he got older he realized he wanted to spend more...

Lost or Stolen Green Card

Why replace your lost or stolen green card? Your green card, or permanent resident card, is the physical verification of your right to work and live in the United States. When starting a job, securing a home loan approval, or renewing your driver's license, you’ll need your green card.

Additionally, if you are at least 18 years old, you must always have your permanent resident card with you. However, if yours is lost, stolen, or damaged, it doesn’t mean you’ve lost your permanent resident status. Though you'll need to replace it as soon as possible because it could take eight to 10 months to receive a replacement card.

thief wearing black clothes pickpocketing wallet in daytime

A thief wearing black clothes pickpocketing a wallet in the daytime. If your green card is stolen or lost, you need to apply for a replacement as soon as possible.

Who Is Eligible to Use Form I-90 to Replace Green Card?

Both permanent residents (those who have 10-year green cards) and conditional permanent residents (those with two-year green cards more than 90 days from expiration) can use Form I-90 for the following purposes:

  • Replace a lost, stolen, or damaged green card
  • Request a green card if the USCIS issued you a green card, but you never received it
  • Request a replacement green card if there is a mistake on your current one and you need to fix it
  • Request a replacement green card because you have legally changed biographical information about yourself, such as your name

Permanent residents can also use Form I-90 to request a special green card if they are taking up commuter status, turning 14 years old, or if they became a U.S. permanent resident automatically.

Can Conditional Permanent Residents Use Form I-90 for Green Card Replacements?

Conditional permanent residents are people who have two-year green cards through marriage or entrepreneurship, for instance. If you are a conditional permanent resident, and your green card expires within 90 days, you cannot use Form I-90 to replace it.

Instead, before your green card expires, you must request to remove the conditions on your permanent residence. If your request is approved, you will receive a 10-year, nonconditional green card.

You must submit your petition to remove conditions before your conditional green card expires. If you allow your green card to lapse before submitting this request, you could lose your permanent resident status and even be forced to leave the country.

If you have a conditional green card through marriage, you can use Form I-751 to remove conditions on your residence. Or, if it is through a financial investment in a U.S. company, you need to file Form I-829.

What if My Green Card Is Lost in the Mail?

You would need to use Form I-90 to apply for a replacement if your green card was lost in the mail. There are specific circumstances when the USCIS may replace it for free.

If you have been tracking your case using the USCIS case status feature, you can check your card to see when it was mailed. But, first, be sure you wait at least 30 days from when the USCIS was scheduled to send your green card. This period allows enough time for your card to be shipped to you and returned to USCIS if it can't be delivered.

Look over the application you submitted to ensure you gave them your correct mailing address. If your green card never shows up, the USCIS will issue a new one at no cost if your circumstances include the following:

  • It’s been more than a month since USCIS mailed your card
  • Your green card came back to the USCIS and marked undeliverable
  • You are still living at the address you supplied to the USCIS

Prior to filing Form I-90, double-check these reasons. If your circumstances do not meet these criteria, you’ll be required to shell out the full $540 replacement card filing fee.

How Do I Appeal a Form I-90 Denial?

If USCIS turns down your replacement green card (Form I-90) application, they will mail you a letter with an explanation for your denial.

If you are denied, the USCIS does not allow you to appeal your denial. An appeal would mean submitting a request to review your unfavorable decision to the USCIS’s Administrative Appeals Office (AAO) or the Department of Justice’s Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA).

Nonetheless, you can submit a motion to reconsider or reopen your case with the same USCIS field office that denied your replacement card.

If you file this motion type, you can ask the office to reconsider or reexamine its decision. We advise you to talk to an immigration attorney if your replacement green card application is denied.

An attorney can assist you in making a case, for example, that their decision to deny your petition was centered on incorrect immigration policy, application of the law, or was based on false evidence in your file when the USCIS made the decision.

How Much Does It Cost to Replace My Green Card?

There are a couple of different fees associated with renewing your green card. USCIS fees include:

  • $455 I-90 application fee
  • $85 biometrics fee, if required

If you file your Form I-90 through the U.S. Postal Service (USPS), you can pay with a personal check, cashier’s check, money order, or credit card using Authorization for Credit Card Transactions, Form G-1450.

If you are sending a check, make it out to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. These fees are non-refundable regardless of whether your application is rejected or if you withdraw your petition.

FileRight Ensures You File Your Form I-90 Correctly and on Time

It typically takes about six to eight months to receive your new green card after filing Form I-90. That's why it's imperative to complete and file your application as soon as you can.

You can get started today with our step-by-step software, which includes a reminder service telling you when to file, instant error reporting to spot your mistakes, and an application package assembly service. Avoid costly errors and processing delays by signing up with FileRight today.

How FileRight makes it easier!

Check Your Eligiblity
1-2-3 steps
Simple Step by Step Process
Question: are you over 18?
Answer a Few Simple Questions
Lawyer Review
Immigration Lawyers Review Your Application
Paper forms
Print out Your Custom Filing Instructions
Envelope (mail)
Mail Your Completed USCIS Form
FileRight is the easy way to complete your application
Complete your application online and file with confidence.

Simple & Fast

We ask simple questions in English or Spanish and you answer with a simple click.

No Costly Mistakes

Our software checks your forms for errors and makes sure you have not missed anything.

No Confusing Forms

Our online service completes your forms for you. No more confusing forms or instructions.

Print & File Right

We provide personalized filing instructions for your completed form. You simply print and file with confidence.